Monday, March 24, 2008

A strange creature indeed... (Part 1/3)

Part 1 of 3 of an extra story about Centron (The first of many if I have my way)

I rarely visit New York anymore. There's no need, nothing to do here, no evil corperations to bring down and no one for me here. I prefer it on the base anyway, away from humans who remind me of a forgotten past. And it's been very quiet these past few weeks. Not even the type of quiet that comes before the storm. It's the usual quiet where people go about their lives, stuff happens but nothing I really need to concern myself with.

But unfortunately if I want to get this alien ship analysed I need some supplies and since Shade isn't around on the count of it being so quiet, I need to go get them myself. Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I'm doing grocery shopping.
I've had to select my suppliers carefully and dress up in hat and long trench coat to go do these things. And then I still get strange looks walking down the street. People fear the things that they don't know and a human mind trapped inside an android body is right up there with spikey hair guy wagging his tail.

They all react the same. Suddenly crossing the street, whispering among themselves. But I don't mind or even care, not since I became this way or maybe even before.
As I walk away from a recent heavy duty metagraph purchase, I find my way suddenly blocked by a small creature gazing up at me. I look down to analyse the obstacle. A child, no more than twelve years of age, wide eyed, bewildered and with a tiny voice.
"It's is you, isn't it? You're part of that new super hero team that's been protecting the city recently."
This is a new reaction to people meeting me for the first time.
"What's it to you, small human?"
"I've been following your adventures in the papers since you guys formed. I've even saved all of the clippings. My father always tells me off about it, says you're no more than a bunch of renegades. But I know better. And out of all of them, I think you're the coolest."
With a large smile, the tiny girl adds
"My name is Chloe Carpenter and I'm your biggest fan"

No comments: